District Update by Cheryl Bauer Hyde, Reeve
- There has been an increase in the number of calls asking for information about what to do if a suspicious vehicle is noticed. Residents can call the Lakeland Protective Services Department at 306.982.4466, or the RCMP (Emma and Christopher Lakes area – Prince Albert 306.765.5500; Anglin, McPhee and Elk Ridge area – Waskesiu 306.663.4400).
- As the deadline for warnings directed to those property owners without civic address posting is now passed, addresses will be posted by the District for those still in violation of requirement, costs will be charged to them, and they will be issued with a summons for failure to comply.
- Pinter & Associates (Prince Albert) has begun site monitoring for the Phase II Environmental Site Assessments on the Anglin, McPhee and Emma landfill sites.
- Received a delegation regarding operation of a vehicle service shop on a Rural Residential Large Acreage (RR1) property on Hwy 2 North. Further investigation of options will be undertaken by Administration for consideration at a future Council meeting.
- Held a public hearing for two items: 1. Amendment to allow for the use of shipping containers in the Institutional Camp District; Bylaw 17-2013, Section 4.13.15(1); and 2. Amendment to restrict tree removal for Moved Buildings: Bylaw 17-2013, Section 4.16(3). There was no ratepayer/resident input. Both amendments were passed in Bylaws 8-2017 and 9-2017.
- Public Works has been working on the fall tree removal process. In total, approximately 100 trees will be removed through the complaint and tagging process.
- Drainage work has been taking place in Sunnyside, Jacobson Drive, and Courtney Place.
- Road work is underway or complete for the alley entrance from Lutheran Road north of Grey Owl Road, Boundary Road, ditching on the east lane of Sunnyside Drive, Southshore Drive ditch.
- Discussed the need for compliance with respect to enforcement of bylaws related to removal of trees and additional of fill material related to new buildings. Plans for the Development Officer and Administrator to meet with contractors for both introductory purposes and to raise awareness of the development permit process.
- Noted upcoming dates for a crime watch citizens’ meeting, SARM mid-term meeting, Sakaw Askiy Management Inc., Council strategic planning session, and received correspondence and meeting minutes from the Organized Hamlet of Elk Ridge.
- Reviewed ratepayer concerns related to dead trees, garbage, and roads.
As I mention in each update, while the contact information for myself and all councillors is on the website and/or available through the District office, we encourage you to contact the District office if you have a concern or require municipal services so that it can be addressed in a timely manner. Saying thank you is always a good reason for a phone call as well, and greatly appreciated by our Staff and Council.
Cheryl Bauer Hyde