District Update by Cheryl Bauer Hyde
- Property inspections continues for the clear display of civic addresses. Tickets and warnings have been or will be issued for non-compliance as clear addressing is required for service providers including emergency services.
- Representatives of SK Environment provided an overview of the Wild Fire Management Strategies and the Fire Smart Program. Council will consider requesting an area assessment which would identify specific areas which would benefit from adoption of the Fire Smart Program. Additional information is available at www.environment.gov.sk.ca/fire.
- A summer student, Rachel Yungwirth, will work with the Protective Services Department for the next four months. Rachel’s main area of focus will be related to enforcement of municipal bylaws.
- Bylaw 6-2017 Animal Control Bylaw was adopted. This is an update of Bylaw 13-2010, and includes but is not limited to:
o amending the prohibited areas to designated
beaches at Emma and Christopher Lakes,
o providing for offences related to animals loose at
large, failure to care for an animal, clean up and disposal
of animal feces,
o regulation of the maximum number of animals per
dwelling / property,
o definition of aggressive animals, and
o provisions for repeat violators.
- Administration was authorized to proceed with the process related in The Tax Enforcement Act for property that have arrears exceeding one half of the immediate preceding year’s tax levy.
- The 2017 Operating Budget, 5 Year Capital Plan, and the 2017 Uniform Mill Rate of 2.34 mills were approved.
- Three new members, Keith Dahl, Daryl Jessop, and Terry Neefs were appointed to the Environmental Advisory Committee.
- As reported in the previous update, tax assessment notices were mailed out in April. SAMA (Saskatchewan Assessment Management Agency) staff will be at the office on Friday, May 12. Please call the office at 306.982.2010 to make an appointment if you have questions related to your property assessment.
While the contact information for myself and all councillors is on the website and/or available through the District office, we encourage you to contact the District office if you have a concern or require municipal services (and saying thank you for good service is always appreciated as well) so that it can be addressed in a timely manner.
Cheryl Bauer Hyde